Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Old habits die hard.






Those of you who know me know that I am a huge NASCAR fan. Of course living in the heart of racing country makes being a fan easy. Within a 5 hour radius, I can go to 5 different tracks and visit nearly every team in NASCAR.

A lot of people that watch NASCAR are fair weather fans. They are fans of whoever is winning or doing well that season, or whoever is cute or popular. This is not the case for me. My driver from the beginning has been Jeremy Mayfield. When I began to pull for him, he drove the #12 Mobil 1 Ford for Penske Racing. I had everything Jeremy Mayfield- hats, shirts, die cast, jackets- some even signed. Then my world was turned upside down- Jeremy left Penske near the end of the season. I had to begin the Jeremy shrine all over- new hats, cars, shirts. That was it though. I had decided that if he left again, I would just become a fair weather fan…..

Jeremy began the next season with a new team driving the #19 Dodge for Evernham Motorsports. Along with that came the new hats, shirts, cars….and then it happened again….after 2 years, Jeremy was moving on to another team….

Well, a year with Bill Davis Racing proved to be a flop…Jeremy made hardly any races. I did buy one shirt- a neon green #36 OTC shirt…that really I only bought cause I was going to get his autograph.

So, here we are again…. 8 years and 4 teams later. Yes, 4 teams. This year Jeremy is driving the #70, no sponsor car for Haas CNC Racing, and once again I am at a crossroads. Maybe it’s time to pick a new driver.

So, I am here to say that I have officially made a driver change. Decided to go with a taste of Cali….this Cali girl will be pulling for Kevin Harvick, driver of the #29 Shell/Pennzoil Chevrolet.




But, old habits do die hard. I will still be secretly pulling for Jeremy. You know I had to make a point to let my NASCAR buddies (a Kenseth Fan, a Martin fan, and a Gordon fan) that after one race, Jeremy was ahead of them in the points.

Go BAKERSFIELD!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Chris Joyce said...

Whoa, never thought I would see the day. Now I can buy you cool Harvick stuff, sweet. Go STINKFOOT!!

Now your wishy-washy brother needs to make his mind up and pick a driver. Then again, if Mark would just retire for goodness sakes.

Unknown said...

Just remember, when you are in Concord for a race you have to give me a call so I can see you!!

Divine Diva In NC said...

NO NO NO Mark doesn't need to retire!