Monday, March 10, 2008

Beer- it's not just for drinking



A few weeks ago a friend gave me a starter of Amish Friendship bread. You know these- you keep them in a zip loc bag for 6 days (squeezing it daily), then add a few more ingredients, squeeze for a few more days, divide, bake, and pass along. This particular bread was sweet, a cinnamon bread.

The baking brought back another college memory- beer bread. Yes, we actually did more than DRINK beer, we cooked with it. This very simple bread is delicious. The top is crunchy and slightly salty...mmmmmm. So, having a left over beer from the race back in October, I figured that baking was the only thing it was good for (I don't drink beer, and after being in the fridge for 5 months, figured no one else would either...). So, I looked the recipe up online, found it, and baked it.

Here is the recipe:

Beer Bread
3 cups self rising flour
1 -12 ounce beer
3- T sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes.


My college roomies and I developed quite a habit for this bread. It is best warm topped with butter.

Warning: Now the above picture is what the bread should look like. However on one occasion we used a micro beer that we had in the fridge...the results, well see for yourself. My advice is to stick with good ol' beer.....








2 comments:

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

OMG...you just keep bringing back memories! I haven't made that bread in YEARS. Perhaps I should try it again :)

Anonymous said...

Beer bread is the best!! But just a note of advice, you don't have to use self rising flour. Regular all purpose flour works just fine :)

Homemaker of the 21st Century